Sunday, October 26, 2008

They See Me Rollin'...

I spent the first weekend in October learning the ins and outs of a Honda Nighthawk 250, and, more importantly, learning how not to kill myself on a motorcycle. The class was taught by two men who very obviously had great skill on a bike. I had classroom time and on bike time each day and on Sunday I had to pass a written and riding skills exam to pass the class. Well...needless to say:I passed. That is my kick a$$ helmet, my Motorcycle Safety Foundation card, and my new license with the official "M" endorsement.


After receiving my card Jo and I set out to find a bike. I looked at a few different bikes and decided to go for a Honda Shadow VT750. One of our local dealers had just the bike I was after, but after much waiting, chatting, waiting, walking around, waiting, and looking at papers, they were only able to get me a 13% apr for the bike. This would mean paying twice what it was worth. I was a bit disappointed and called Leland (my father-in-law) to see what other options I had. He pointed me to www.crashedtoys.com, a website that auctions bikes that have been totaled by insurance companies. He said if we found a bike he could fix it up no problem.

We found another Honda Shadow VT750 American Classic Edition and decided to bid on the bike. Leland took care of the bidding as I was at work. At 11 am I clicked on the auction and we had won!...at 11:04 I refreshed the page and we had lost?! Apparently there was a glitch in the system at Crashed Toys and two people won the bike. Leland and I assumed that the other bidder had won as he was the last to bid. We went on our way to check for other bikes.

Then......on Friday Leland got a phone call from Crashed Toys asking if he was going to come pick up the bike he won! WOO HOO! Leland got the bike back to his place and we got a steal. He needs to replace the front headlight, the windshield and fix the rear turn signals. He is also going to do a full fluid change but it runs well and will be ready to get inspected for a clean title shortly.

The bike in this picture is having its battery charged, hence no seat, but it is my bike. So, soon I will be rollin' on my Honda, getting 60 mpg, and enjoying the Nevada sun.

Coasting on two wheels,

Cory

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

They consider THAT as totaled? Wha-wha-what??? Ok, I know where I'm going to be looking for my "toy". (I will be getting one...oh, yes...I will get one.)

But for now I'm jealous. Crazy jealous. Now you need to get to working on the crazy biker facial hair. Especially, since you went and got that helmet.

Anonymous said...

I've got to tell you, Cory, this bike is the least "crashed" of any bike we've ever had sitting in the barn. I couldn't believe it when Leland got it home. The parts are ordered and it will be ready to ride in no time.

Rebecca said...

Your hair looks like you're going back to the late 1990s. You trying to be 18 years old again?

And the bike is awesome. You're gonna have a great time on it!